Principles of Naturopathic Medicine
- First, do no harm, by using methods and medicines that minimize the risk of harmful side effects.
- Treat the causes of disease, by identifying and removing the underlying causes of illness, rather than suppressing symptoms.
- Teach the principles of healthy living and preventative medicine, by sharing knowledge with patients and encouraging individual responsibility for health.
- Heal the whole person through individualized treatment, by understanding the unique physical, mental, emotional, genetic, environmental and social factors that contribute to illness, and customizing treatment protocols to the patient.
- Emphasize prevention, by partnering with the patient to assess risk factors and recommend appropriate naturopathic interventions to maintain health and prevent illness.
- Support the healing power of nature, by recognizing and removing obstacles to the body's inherent self-healing process.